Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organiser, or organise your very own event.
Publish Yourself - Google Campus London
Thursday, 3 January 2013 from 10:30 to 14:00 (GMT)
London, United Kingdom
It's a New Year and time to filfill that resolution to write and publish your own book. From how to write, design, copyright, publish and distribute you will learn how to get your book into a final product that sells and be able to start selling.
Publish Yourself will teach you how to not only publish your own but book also set-up, launch, and run your publishing business. And every Entrepreneur these days should have their own book. Why hand out business cards when you can hand out your own book?
This Masterclass is about desktop publishing. If you have no experience with graphic design or publishing, don't worry. Publish Yourself will show you the basics and go deeper into publishing by showing you design programmes and explore outlets for distribution. This course looks at both print and digital book development and distribution. It also includes a special emphasis on press coverage as the instructor has worked as a News Editor on network news desks around the world creating award winning content.
As Self Publishing is all about "engaging with your audience to sell books" this course is taught through examining case studies together and practice exercises. You don't have to have any of your own content yet, but we do ask that every participant bring a wifi enabled laptop. There is free wifi at Google Campus and everyone will be able to download one of the top Self Publishing programmes for free to begin editing their book. Come with your questions. An open discussion about Self Publishing is encouraged. Everyone will have a chance to network before and after the session.
Both Campus London members and non-members are welcome to sign-up.
1. Types of Self Publishing
* Print on Demand
* Tour each of the top sites from a content distribution perspective perspective and find out which is best for your book
* Analysis of what works best on each site
2. Book Development
* Publishing programmes (both paid for and free)
* Text books vs artistic photobooks
* Examples of good Print on Demand books and e-books will be investigated
* Class assignment: Create a book
Please note: It is not necessary to buy a publishing programme for class. Please bring your laptop and be prepared to download an easy to use programme. There are many great free sites available which we will explore. You'll be able to download a programme and begin editing your book in the workshop.
3. Marketing Plan
* The benefits of using self publishing over a publishing house (profit analysis)
* How to identify your Target Market
* Distribution channels (both online and in stores)
* How to organise Press Coverage for your book launch
* Case studies of when Self Publishing works and when it doesn't will be examined
* Class assignment: Create a Marketing Plan
Please note: Everyone will have a chance to draft a basic Marketing Plan for the book they are either writing or thinking of writing.
* Best practices and the law
* Crisis Management: How to protect yourself when promoting your content
5. Future Trends and Your Questions
* This is an interactive course designed to work with the questions the participants want answered. By the end of this course every participant will have a general understanding of Self Publishing and a toolkit to make and distribute their own publishing.
Our Self Publishing Masterclass is for start-ups, writers looking to get published and entrepreneurs who want to learn more about Self Publishing for business. The instructor for this Masterclass has launched publishing applications at media companies around the world. She is also a published author. Your instructor has a masters degree in journalism and MBA level education from Cambridge's Judge Business School.
When & Where
Coffee Shop Communications
Coffee Shop Communications is a boutique Media Consultancy based in London. We help our clients learn how to create social buzz in a digital world. Our Consultants work across the UK, USA, and Canada.
Our Workshops include:
How to get Press Coverage
Social Media Marketing and PR
Social Media and Promoting You
Digital Content Development
You can be sure you're getting the best industry knowledge from our expert Media Consultants. All of our seminar instructors have graduate degrees and at least 15 years of experience gained at major international media companies. Our Consultants are all leaders in their field. And each one is on top of the latest Social Media developments.
Follow us on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/company/2474861?trk=tyah
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/CoffeeShopCommunications